Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Parks Commission

Village of Fayetteville - Canal Landing Park
One of the village's newest park is located along side of Limestone Creek off Limestone Plaza and may have been one of the most long-awaited improvements to the area.  It took over 30 years, at least four Mayors, grants through Senator Valesky and NYS Parks, and the involvement of several organizations including NYS DOT and village DPW to reach the final goal as of May 2011.

The park has a playground, restrooms*, trails, fitness stations, and as of 2013 a pedestrian bridge over the creek to ultimately connect you to the trails of the Erie Canal.  There is also parking.  [*Restrooms are open seasonally from approximately May to late fall.]

Village of Fayetteville - Chapel St. Median

Also known as Clinton Square, Clinton Park, Lincoln Park, and Cleveland Memorial Park, South of Clinton St. where Water St. (the original street name of this part of Chapel St.) was narrowed by the Ledyard waterway which had a small reservoir (probably to prevent erosion) at the point where it turned west.

Designated on the 1860 and 1874 maps as Clinton Square, probably to emulate Syracuse’s Clinton Square with the Erie Canal.

The reservoir had been filled in by 1887 when President Grover Cleveland visited his boyhood home for a few hours. The welcoming ceremony was held in this location, then identified as “ Clinton Park.” President Cleveland spoke from the platform and recalled that had used the reservoir here as a swimming place.

Known in the 1920s as Lincoln Park, summer band concerts were held here.

In the 1960’s, the village agreed to have the land used as a parking lot for workers in the nearby industrial building.

Renamed in 1994 during the village’s sesqui-centennial as Cleveland Memorial Park.

After 2000, trees were planted here by the Fayetteville Tree Commission and in 2004 the paved parking spaces were reclaimed and planted in grass.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Cleveland Park

At the northwest corner of Genesee and Manlius streets, next to Municipal Building. This is the Fayetteville Community Play Area east of the Municipal Bldg., which was dedicated June 1937 as Cleveland Park. The property was still technically school district property.

At the northwest corner of Genesee and Manlius streets, next to Municipal Building. This is the Fayetteville Community Play Area east of the Municipal Bldg., which was dedicated June 1937 as Cleveland Park. The property was still technically school district property.

During the summer, playground equipment stored at the old High School barn sloe to Elm Street at the rear of the property – 2 picnic tables, 4 benches, 3 baby swings, 4 adult swings; also had 4 bean bags, 2 deck tennis rings, 2 tennis nets, 1 softball catcher’s mitt; 1 volley ball; 4 horse shoes; 2 hard balls; 4 badminton balls 1 chest protector; ping pong set; 1 playground ball.

Apparently operated by a joint committee of residents appointed by the school board and the village board, it was a mostly volunteer effort in the midst of difficult economic times.

The community playground developed to keep children from playing in the street. Some of the reasons offered were “Houses are too small for any soft of fun,” most yards are either too rutty or too well-kept for play and small children like the company of similar age playmates.

Women offered to clean up the former school ground in the center of the village and arrange for playground. Village men pointed out that the land was owned by school; women went to the school board. Insurance was also raised as an issue.

The village contributed $100; other gifts totaled $400 which bought the play equipment and swings.

Playground operated by having one adult volunteer at the playground from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.; one women on several days came to tell stories to young children. The summer culminated with a Field Day.

Children maintained the playground; formed clubs with officers; boys were the construction force (keeping grass cut, weeds pulled, put up and take down swings each day, mark tennis courts; girls did the cleaning and kept things straight.

All volunteer labor. Operated at least one year and probably two.

But after an accident, women found that their insurance did not cover them as they had been told, so resigned because their husbands’ lawyers said they should not incur the responsibility.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Coulter Park

Originally the location of a privately-operated sewage treatment plant installed in 1955 by the developer of Brookside, Dominic Timpano.

The land was given to the village of Fayetteville for use as a park in 1972 after completion of Fayetteville’s street sewer system and the connection to the county-operated Meadowbrook-Limestone Treatment plant.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Duguid Park

This park is village-owned land located on Duguid Road (Town of Manlius) that was formerly a resevoir for the Village of Fayetteville that were ceased to be used by 1972. For some time part of this area has been used as storage for the DPW due to limited space at their garage.   Recent improvements now include a trail system improvements, bike skills park, dog park, and a picnic area.

Do Good Dog Park is located within this park and is open seasonally.  It will be closed for the winter once there's 6-inches of snow or more.

Back To Top


Village of Fayetteville - Fayetteville Bird Preserve (Gramlich Bird Sanctuary)

About either acres of land on both sides of Limestone Creek east of Highbridge St. at Audubon Parkway. In 1987, the area was listed as 10.2 acres, either because the creek had changed course or the original measurement was not precise.

Land given to the village in 1933 by Jacob and Belle Gramlich to provide a forever wild area along Limestone Creek. They named it the Fayetteville Bird Preserve as a memorial to Frederick M. Gramlich who died in 1933, a few months after his graduation from the naval Academy at Annapolis. A bronze plaque on the east side of Highbridge St., just north of the entrance to Hullar Enterprises records the gift.

The land was originally planted with about 3,000 seedlings in the late 1920s by Fred Gramlich and his brother, J.E. Gramlich, as part of work for a Boy Scout conservation merit badge.

In the 1960s, a local Boy Scouts cleared paths and thinned the over-growth. The Fayetteville Garden Club planted shrubs to provide food and nesting locations. Several clean-up projects by Boy Scouts were done during the 1970s.

Several test wells were drilled in 1949 near Limestone Creek in an effort to locate a suitable water source, but the water was judged to hard for use.

In 2000, the state’s Department of Environmental Conservation and the Army Corps of Engineers approved a plan for Village of Fayetteville to rip-rap creek banks eroded by heavy rain. Cost of $20,000 to $30,000 to come from Gramlich “Trust Fund” , built up over the years. Martin Lynch, Village Clerk, says the fund was in existence when he arrived in 1978.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Highbridge St. Water Supply

Originally known as the Putnam Spring, Later known as the Highbridge Springs, connected to the village system in 1922 with an 8 inch line.

A second well was drilled in 1959 and connected to the village system with a new pump. This well produced about 460,000 gallons a day.

In 1972 attempts to increase the water flow by drilling a new well nearby were futile. Several test wells were drilled on village property and on the adjoining Hullar property, but did not yield the additional 500,000 gallons a day that was sought.

I believe this property is now part of the Hullar trout farm, but do not have the details of the transfer.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Huntington Beard Memorial Park

5.8 acres between Fayetteville-Manlius Rd., Franklin and Lincoln (originally canal) streets, known as "The Pond Lot" of the Wellwood estate.

The "pond" was the reservoir for the Ledyard Hydraulic Canal or Dyke, which took water from Limestone Creek near Manlius, carried it northward five miles in a shallow canal to provide water power for mills in Fayetteville. The reservoir was needed to maintain a steady water flow for the mills.

The Fayetteville School District acquired the Wells home, known as Wellwood, and the adjacent farm property in 1930 as the location for a new school building. The building, built in 1932, replaced the earlier brick school on the north side of Genesee St. near the Manlius corner (now the Municipal Building). In the difficult economic times of the Depression, the school board felt it had no use for the "extra" property that the "Pond Lot" represented and in 1941 planned to sell it to a builder for either a multiple residence. There had previously been two rental houses facing South Manlius St. when the property was owned by the Wells family.

School district voters turned down the sale after Huntington Beard Crouse, founder of Crouse-Hinds, and his son agreed to help village residents who wanted the pond and its surroundings kept for public purposes. He provided $12,000 for development of the park after the land had become village property and after the village had agreed to provide maintenance of the park in perpetuity. The design was by N. A. Rotunoo of the Syracuse University School of Architecture.

Mr. Crouse bestowed the name Huntington Beard Memorial Park in honor of his uncle, an early Fayetteville businessman. The bronze plaque at the entrance says "developed ...for your enjoyment and entrusted to your care."

The village board agreed to accept the park property and on May 25, 1942 appointed the Huntington Beard Memorial Park Commission to oversee the park. The first members were Miss Emma Beard, William Robinson and Collin Armstrong.

After the Ledyard dam in Manlius Village broke about 1976, the original water supply system was interrupted. The villages of Fayetteville and Manlius agreed to an arrangement that used the Manlius Village Perry springs as a water source for the pond.

In 1997, the stonework around the pond was rebuilt and new lighting and electrical service was installed for the concerts and programs being held in the summer and skating in the winter.

There are now fountains installed in the pond and it is stocked with fish, both help control the algae within the pond.  There is no fishing allowed.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Lake Ontario Water Supply

The main supply line between the Metropolitan Water Board's Eastern Reservoir on Route 290 and the standpipe off Salt Springs Road by passes the Fayetteville Reservoir property. Money from the McLennan Trust Fund was used to fence the reservoir property after Onondaga County Water Authority became the water supply distribution contractor for Fayetteville.

In 1977, swings and slides were installed in an attempt to create a recreational park. In 2001, the fire department brought two mobile buildings to the site intending to use them for "practice" sessions. These were removed by the end of 2004.

The space between the reservoirs and Duguid road is used frequently by the Public Works Dept. to store tree and brush debris and create mulch.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Land at Northwest corner of Genesee and Manlius Sts.

Purchased from the Fayetteville school district in 1932 for $1,000 as a site for the Fayetteville Municipal Building. It had been a school location since 1888 and was earlier a hotel/tavern. The school retained the land fronting on Elm St. until 1953 when it was conveyed to the village.

Municipal Building - Named the Grover Cleveland Memorial when completed in 1936; an addition in 1953 moved Fire Dept. from west portion to new, larger eastern section and another addition on the east in 1991 expanded the Fire Dept. space.

Bronze Plaque honoring Grover Cleveland was presented in 1940 by the Fayetteville Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is mounted in the front hall.

Portrait of Grover Cleveland, painted by Lee Trimm, purchased ($600) by citizens in 1961. Also in the front hall.

Mural of Fayetteville scenes created in 1974 by C.T. Maciulewicz for the Onondaga Savings Bank Office in the Fayetteville Mall. After that office was closed, the mural was moved to the first floor meeting room in 1994 as part of the village's Sesquicentennial observance.

Rose Beds - Local members of the Syracuse Rose Society, Kerry Rose, John Messerly, James Lannon, (then trustee who became mayor) A. W. Tellstrom and Joe Walden created rose beds near the Manlius/Genesee street corner as part of the village's beautification effort. The roses planted were Crimson Glory, Mr. Lincoln, Peace, Queen Elizabeth and Saratoga. Corner beds eliminated by 2000. Some roses still remained by building entrance in 2002, removed June 9, 2003 and replaced by new landscaping.

Memory Tree - After using a different tree for several years, this evergreen was planted about 1982 for use each holiday as The Memory Tree, a fund-raising effort of the Fayetteville Senior Center. The tree was toppled by the 1998 Labor Day storm and uprighted for use in the 1998 season. It was again toppled in 1999 and replaced with a younger tree.

Cleveland Park Playground - In 1937, a playground was operated in the east and north portion of the Municipal Building property and dedicated as Cleveland Park. The playground, operated by the Fayetteville Improvement Society, a volunteer group of local women, had swings, a softball field, badminton net and room for table games. Older children were responsible for putting out game equipment, teaching younger children and picking up at the end of each day, with usually one adult volunteer as a supervisor.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Limestone Little League Field

Also known as Tuttle Field, Legion Field, Fietta Park West off 300 block of Brooklea Dr., behind house lots fronting on Brooklea Dr. (Mill St.), and adjacent to the Canal Feeder.

Three acres of land were donated in 1923 by Harry M. Tuttle, village trustee, for use as a village playground. The land was in the rear of his house, 313 Brooklea Dr. Two more acres were donated by O. D. Burhans of Syracuse, who had acquired the Gaynor lime kiln property. Original plans called for a community outdoor swimming pool and ball fields. There was also a $1 purchase from Lewis Twichell, village trustee in the 1970s to complete ownership of the parcel already in use.

In 1952, about 30 men from various parts of the Fayetteville school district agreed to improve "part of the American Legion Field, formerly known as Tuttle Field" to Little League standards with much of the work and materials donated by local firms and residents. More than 2,700 yards of fill and 500 yards of top soil were brought in and graded on two Sundays.

Use of the field was restricted to boys who had passed the 8th birthday and not yet 13 years old -- the Little League Requirement. A total of 210 boys enrolled in 1952.

A group of ladies agreed to provide refreshments at games.

Community Building/Teen Center - This building was constructed off-site by the ESM-BOCES carpentry class and moved in two sections in June 1977 to the site at the south edge of the park for use as a teen center, which had previously been in several rented quarters, most recently at 112 Genesee St. After the Teen Center ceased to operate, the building was used by family counseling services.

In 1997, it was turned over to the Town of Manlius Recreation Dept. for use as a community center.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Manlius Springs

East off Fayetteville-Manlius Rd., originally part of the Oliver Hazard Perry property sold to the Village of Manlius.

This area of free-flowing springs was divided about 1950 when Fayetteville purchased part of the area as a water supply. A 200,000 gallon standpipe visible from Churchill Lane is part of the supply system. The original pumping station was enlarged in 1960.

The portion retained by the Village of Manlius is now the village's fish hatchery.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - McLennan Wildlife Sanctuary

The McLennan Wildlife Sanctuary is at the Duguid Rd. property. The land is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Roderick McLennan who bequeather the village $10,000 to perpetuate and expand the area surrounding the village's water supply as a wildlife sanctuary.

Dr. McLennan directed that after the death of his wife, $10,000 should be delivered to the Village of Fayetteville "to collect the interest and invest and reinvest the use the income therefrom and purchase from time to time as opportunity offers lands on the watershed above the springs which supply the Village of Fayetteville, New York with water, to care for, fence and post said lands against destruction of game thereon, and to make said lands a harbor, rendezvous or preserve for wild birds and game forever."

The village appointed a "Sanctuary Committee" which enlisted Fayetteville Garden Club members to provide expert advice. The emphasis was on creating a inactive recreational public space and wildlife sanctuary. Alan Cuckshank of the National Audubon Society came to Fayetteville in 1941 to survey the reservoir property. On his advice and with the help of the College of Forestry in Syracuse, a plantation of evergreen trees was planted. At least one additional evergreen planting was done.

The committee recommended the purchase of the Gummer property adjoining the springs uphill from the reservoir. The McLennan Committee met regularly until after 1970. For many years the Fayetteville Garden Club gave $100 a year to help maintain the McLennan sanctuary and worked with a committee appointed by the village board in administering the McLennan trust. In the 1960s, the Garden Club held $600 in escrow for the McLennan project.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Park at Genesee, Manlius and Salt Springs Streets

Also known as Triangle Park, Legion Park, Center Park, Genesee Park and Veterans Park.

At the intersection of three roads, Genesee St. (ROW-99ft.) Salt Springs Rd.,(ROW-66ft.) and Fayetteville-Manlius Rd. (ROW-66ft.)

In 1871, Fayetteville trustees appropriated less than $100 to improve and fence the space at the intersection of the roads. An illustration in Clayton's 1878 History of Onondaga County shows the park as do early photographs.

Grafted Tree -- One of the prominent features of the park is the unusual grafted tree which is in the west section of the park. Gordon DeAngelo has identified this as a Wheatley (or Jersey) Elm (upright portion) grafted on to a Smooth-Leafed Elm root. Grafting is the only way a Wheatley Elm can be reproduced. I believe that the grafting was done by Samuel J. Wells, who lived at Wellwood (now school site), who cultivated grapes, raspberries, other small fruits and apples.

Horse Trough -- Another feature is the horse watering trough given to the village in 1892 by Col. John Gaynor in memory of his father, Edward Gaynor, an early settler who owned a limestone quarry and plaster business. This peice was originally placed at the west point of the park. It was moved, probably about 1930, to the east side of the park where it was disconnected from the water supply and functioned in an ornamental fashion with flowers in the drinking trough. In 2003, a small recirculating water system was installed.

Flag Pole -- Given to village about 1937 by Robert Baker, 310 North Manlius St., who bought it for his house and found it too large; accepted by Mayor Kessler and dedicated by American Legion.

In 1937 the Fayetteville Improvement Society bought cedar posts and lumber for park benches which were painted thistle green. A series of benches have been installed and in the 1960s, gravel paths were placed.

The park in the 1960s and 1970s was used for Lions Club Christmas Tree Sales and Boy Scout camp-out projects. A formal sign rack at the west end of the park has replaced the earlier posting of individual signs. Starting in the 1990s, the Fayetteville Garden Club provided and planted bulbs and annuals and members provided maintenance.

In May 2003, village trustees agreed a major $120,00 reconstruction of the park and its surroundings. Part of the money, $24,500 came from the trust fund created when the Fayetteville American Legion Post #369 sold its building in the 100 block of Salt Springs and Spring street in the 1960s and gave the money to the village. In return for using the money, trustees agreed to officially name the park "Fayetteville Veterans' Memorial Park, American Legion Post #369." The plantings by the Fayetteville Garden Club have been removed, a wall built on the west end, brick sidewalks installed and ornamental lighting installed.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Washington Park

Bounded by North Park, South Park, Walnut and Chapel (originally Water) streets. At the beginning of Washington St.

Appears in same oblong form on 1860 and 1874 maps

About 20 maple trees were planted in a formal pattern of two rows along the length of the park. The maple trees that remain in 2001 are at least 100 years old and many have acquired large burls.

This park was used by neighborhood children for games and walking until after 2000 when play equipment was installed for the first time.

Back To Top

Village of Fayetteville - Water Works and Reservoir Property

Land off Duguid Rd. that surrounds the former Fayetteville wells and reservoirs.

The original property was acquired in 1892 to provide a public water supply for the village. Hillside springs fed the first reservoir and the village's public water system and was constructed in 1892 with local resident Col. Mortimer Birdseye as the contractor and E. D. Smalley as the engineer. A brass plaque commemorated the village officials involved in this enterprise. The public water system replaced individual wells and springs used by village households.

The first reservoir was built of dirt and stone in 1892. There was considerable difficulty in maintaining the holding capacity of this first reservoir and a second, larger concrete reservoir was constructed in 1912. The total capacity is about six million gallons of water.

To provide water in an emergency, the village water system was connected in the 1940s to the Syracuse City Water line on the Lyndon Rd. that already supplied the Homewood area. Later a link to the Manlius Village supply was made about 1960. In 1972, the village creased to use the reservoirs as part of the water supply system. The village street lines were transferred to the Onondaga County Water Authority, which sold Lake Ontario water brought into the Eastern Reservoir by the Metropolitan Water Board.

This action followed about 30 years of attempts to augment the village supply by drawing from various local wells and springs. The post-World War Two housing boom plus severe droughts meant critical water shortages in 1953, 1955, 1965, 1969, and 1972.

The brass plaque detailing the 1892 village water project was removed from the building and is stored in the village record room.

Back To Top

Phone: 315.637.9864
Fax: 315.637.0106
Hours: 8am - 4pm
Address: 425 East Genesee Street Fayetteville, NY 13066