How to Apply for a Permit
This is not an exhaustive list of construction requirements; rather, it is intended to bring to your attention some of the more common reviews and requirements you may encounter when applying for a permit.
* Please call the Building Office to review your project before commencing work in order to assure compliance.
* All Pools,including inflatables, need a Permit and to be secured.
- current survey
- Building Plans: stamped construction plans with architectural elevations when construction involves structural work; value of construction exceeds $20,000 or construction exceeds 1500 sf;
- Permit application with notarized signatures
- Application Fee (based on size of project)
- Workers' Compensation Form
- Energy Code Certification
- Truss Design Sheets or Certificates
- Electrical Permit - [Refer to the approved list of 3rd party Electrical Inspectors]
- Plumbing permit application must be filed with the Onondaga County Plumbing Control Department
A permit is needed to...
erect, add onto, relocate or make any change to a building or property;
convert or change the use or occupancy of a building or part thereof;
install, relocate or remove interior load bearing partitions;
enlarge, decrease or otherwise modify locations of doors or windows;
repair fire damage;
demolish any building or structure;
install or replace a heating unit, fireplace, woodstove, or other solid fuel burning device or chimney/vents;
Deck or stairs;
install any type of swimming pool, inground or with a sidewall height of 24 inches or more;
pave an exterior ground area if used for vehicle access or parking;
fill, excavate or alter the grade of land; or
installation, alteration or replacement a sign.
A permit is NOT needed when...
making ordinary repairs;
installing or replacing gutters and downspouts;
installing or replacing siding or a roof, provided no more than two (2) layers are to be covered;
replacing windows or doors with equal-size equipment.
Some properties and projects are subject to Historic Preservation Commission, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals and other applicable governing bodies review and approval before a building permit can be issued. Please call the Building Office to review your project before commencing work in order to assure compliance. - All Pools,including inflatables, need a Permit and to be secured.