**Fire Rescue & EMS Study 2011**
**Please Note: as of February 22, 2010 Carbon Monoxide Detectors will be required in ALL existing homes**
The Fayetteville Fire Department was established in 1845. It consisted of two companies; the Mechanic’s Hook and Ladder Company on Highbridge Street and the Hose Company on Center Street. In 1888 the Center Street station was destroyed by fire. As a result, the two companies merged and have remained a single entity ever since. In 1924 the department purchased its first motorized apparatus, an International pumper. The Fayetteville Fire Department began providing EMS transport in 1942 with the purchase of a LaSalle ambulance. The winter of 1987 saw the arrival of the department’s first aerial ladder built by LTI. Currently the department operates 2 Class 1 Engines, an Aerial Ladder, a Squad, Brush Truck, 3 ambulances and a Medic Car.
The Fayetteville Fire Department is led by Chief Paul Hildreth. There are 48 volunteer members who perform fire, EMS and administrative duties. In 1985 the department became combination when it hired its first employee. Since then the staffing level has increased to include 11 full time employees and 6 part timers. The Captain, a Firefighter/Paramedic and the caretaker work weekdays, with the balance of the staff filling four shifts of 2 Firefighter/Paramedics, on a 2 day/2 night rotation.
Fire and EMS services are provided to approximately ten thousand residents in the Village of Fayetteville and Town of Manlius. The fire district encompasses many target hazards, among which are; Towne Center at Fayetteville, Northeast Medical Center, three senior residential centers, four elementary and middle schools and numerous daycares. A combination of residential, commercial and industrial structures, with an assessed value of over $900 million, can be found in the department’s first due area.
[CLICK on FFD emblem to link to Fire Department's website for more information.]